lunedì 5 settembre 2016

VOLKER BIRKE | PHOTOGRAPHER

I can't draw, but release the shutter... (I suppose) ;) Anyway, I've been fascinated with nature, especially sea and landscapes, all my life, and how it relates to personal feelings, atmosphere and moods. Got my first camera around the age of ten. Therefore, artistic landscape photography has always been a favorite subject, also viewing landscape paintings (e.g., created by Caspar David Friedrich). However, I'm much interested in other genres of photography as well. For the last ten years I have primarily used digital SLR cameras, though still employing and developing (b&w 35 mm) film occasionally. "Well, on a deep personal level, I’m very much a romantic and attracted to idealized pastoral beauty. I love idyllic places and the kind of suspension of history they offer. But noble beauty is not enough these days. One must complicate the picture, because there’s now nowhere to “escape” to on the planet in pursuit of a hermetic pastoralism or a redemptive wilderness sublime. Earth is now a human park." Michael Light (http://www.believermag.com/issues/201011/?read=interview_light_weschler, accessed on 04.01.14

"ORDER OUT OF CHAOS My job as a photographer is to bring order to chaos. While it's true that our world is full of visual richness, it's also true that our world is full of visual chaos. The difficulty in creating strong, dynamic photographs is in dealing with that chaos. Out of an infinite number of elements, I (and you) have to select and arrange a certain number of them into some visual harmony. Consider the difference between a painter and a photographer. Starting with a blank canvas, the painter constructs an image by adding only those elements needed for visual excitement. But my job as a photographer is to eliminate, to strip away many of those chaotic elements that exist in front of me until I arrive at the strongest possible image." Norton, B. (2001) "The Art of Outdoor Photography - Techniques for the Advanced Amateur and Professional", Voyageur Press, Hong Kong

























All images © Volker Birke

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

ShareThis

post<li>
Related Posts with Thumbnails