martedì 13 aprile 2010

JANE PEISER POTTERY

Artist Statement

“When human beings go from speech to song, something wonderful happens.

I don't achieve that very often in my work, but it's what keeps me trying.”

image

Artist Bio

After two college degrees and eight years of teaching, I saw a used electric kiln advertised in the newspaper.

2 Women Planter

By the time the day was over I had bought the kiln along with a bag of clay and several bottles of glaze.

Ancient Journey Lamp

With one stroke my life changed forever and I have been eternally grateful for having found work that I love.

ancient_journey_detail

Now, at 77, I look back on the past forty-five years with gratitude for all the help I've gotten from my generous friends in the clay world.

Bishops Lamp

As a self taught potter I have stumbled in ignorance into some lucky opportunities, such as being accepted into the early Penland Resident Program, where I gained experience with gas kilns and China painting.

Bonnie Goes to Heaven

I learned about glass Murrini techniques from my former husband, glass artist Mark Peiser, and adapted it to colored porcelain fired in a salt kiln, which is where I finally landed.

Coming Home

As a young woman I taught workshops and classes in colored clay and hand building.

Glorious Summer Planter

Over the years I've given my formulas to hundreds (perhaps thousands) of students.

Lamp with Dreams

Colored clays are like a box of paints or crayons—each of us works differently, as distinctly as we are from one another.

Looking Glass

2010 Schedule

June 11-13 - Toe River Arts Council Spring Studio Tour. Open studios in Mitchell & Yancey Counties

Mother and Child

October 9-10 - Spruce Pine Potters Market. An annual invitational show of 30 of the area's best potters, held in downtown Spruce Pine.

Slipping Away

November 12-14 - Piedmont Craftsmen Crafts Fair, Winston-Salem NC

This piece is 8 - 9 tall. It faces both ways. I think it could work as a centerpiece for your table.

December 3-5 - Toe River Arts Council Christmas Studio Tour. Open studios in Mitchell & Yancey Counties.

Three Friends

Contact

My work is always available at my studio, open from 10-5 year round.

Two Sisters Talking Together

I am a member of Ariel Cooperative Craft Gallery in Asheville NC, and my work can always be seen there. See the Links page for more information about Ariel Gallery.

Two Women Under Trees

Women Left by Themselves Nite Lite

Women Left by Themselves Nite Lite ( Detail)

Women Picking Peaches

Women Reading

Woman with Candle

Jane Peiser Pottery
68 Beacon Church Road
Penland NC 28765

828 765-7123

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

ShareThis

post<li>
Related Posts with Thumbnails